New vs "Resale" Homes
As you search for your dream home, you'll probably hear a variety of opinions on whether you should purchase a newly built home or a resale home.
There are advantages to both, and your individual needs, not the age of the structure, should be foremost in deciding which is best for you. For a better idea of which type may be more suited to your needs, let's look at the advantages of both new and resale homes.
Why buy a new home?
Perhaps you love the idea that you can be a home's very first owner. Everything is new and shiny, the neighbors are probably also just moving in, and you can customize the floor plan and colors. Buying a new home can be fun and exciting. Here are some other advantages:
- New homes are built with new materials and appliances, so less maintenance is typically required than with resale homes.
- They often possess more safety features and fewer health hazards to conform to today's building codes.
- Many homebuilders offer warranties in case certain problems develop over time.
- The home's major appliances and systems also typically include manufacturers' warranties.
- They typically feature modern architecture and layout such as great rooms, bigger closets, and additional bathrooms, which often replaces the formal dining and/or living rooms of older homes.
- New homes are usually well-insulated due to better windows, more efficient heating and cooling equipment, and greater use of insulation.
- The homes are often made with materials requiring less maintenance, such as aluminum siding, vinyl windows, and pressure-treated wood decks that resist rot and insects.
- They can be easier to customize than resale homes since you can choose many details ranging from floor plans and paint colors to faucets and light fixtures.
- New homes are more apt to be wired with new technologies in mind, such as being pre-wired for multiple phone lines, high-speed Internet connections and extra cable outlets.
Why buy a resale home?
Housing styles have changed with time, and you might favor more traditional layouts and features. Older houses and neighborhoods may have more character and charm. The trees are full-grown, and the neighbors can tell you all about your new hometown. Here are some other advantages:
- Resale homes may provide more opportunities for home improvements.
- They typically have more land than newer properties due to changes in land-use patterns.
- The homes are often in older, more convenient metro areas rather than outlying suburbs.
- You can use the existing home as a base for building a unique property through modernization or expansion.
- Resales tend to be less expensive than new properties and more likely to come complete with items that may cost extra with a new home such as blinds, landscaping, built-ins, etc.
- Depending on the state, resale homes may have lower property tax rates.
- Owners usually aren't required to pay for the local bonds that are sometimes associated with new development, such as for schools, parks, or road or transportation improvements.
- These homes often have more traditional layouts, which may include such areas as formal living and dining rooms.
- Buyers can most likely purchase a larger home for the same money with a resale than with new construction.
- Buyers often have more room for negotiating the price or terms of sale than new homes.
As you can see, both offer significant, but very different advantages. Keep in mind that the real question shouldn't be about whether to buy a new or used home. It's more about finding which individual property will best meet the needs of you and your family.
The Chadwick is a beautiful & spacious 4 bedroom / 3.5 bathroom home with a large upstairs Recreation Room, perfect for a play room or entertainment room. 3 bedrooms / 2....
This Dalton D plan is a must see. The open concept living offers the great room open to the kitchen and back patio. The owner's suite overlooks the backyard and features...
This 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom home equipped with a spacious kitchen overlooks the 37-acre lake with unobstructed views from the home office and master suite. Located withi...
home is under construction in the Ogden area of Wilmington - near grocery, shopping and local beaches.The Oxford is Master Down, 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths + Large Bonus/Loft....
The Hayward is a beautiful 3 bedroom/ 3 bathroom Estate style home with an upstairs Bonus Room. This home has a beautiful long Foyer that is detailed with 4ft craftsman s...
Welcome home to this beautiful and bright all one level living craftsman style home in Belle Meade Village. Built in 2016 by Bill Clark, property has been a second home a...
**PROPOSED CONSTRUCTION** . Southernly Rooted mere steps away from the Hewlett's Creek marsh flats, this incredible proposed construction home has been suggested to rest ...
The Dover floor plan is a 5 bedroom, 3 bed with bonus room! This home has 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms down. The 5th bed and 3 bath is located on the second floor with the bon...
This home features a guest suite on the first floor, an open kitchen with an island and pantry, and a bay window breakfast area. A spacious great room is adjacent to the ...
The Bristol plan is 2364 sq foot with 4 bedrooms, 3 bath, bonus room. Bonus, bed 4 and bath 3 located upstairs. The Bristol is an open floor plan with a covered porch off...
Situated on a marina lot with stunning Intracoastal Waterway views this amazing home is a rare find in the private community of Helms Port. This elegant new construction ...
The Grantville is a Cottage home with 3 bedrooms/ 2 bathroms and open living across the Kitchen, Dining Room and Great Room. This home is in a prime location in the commu...
The Lanai is a beautifully crafted, single story 3 bedroom/ 2 bathroom home. Detailed with a 11 foot ceiling in the Great Room with exposed beams that stretch across into...
NEW CONSTRUCTION in fast growing Monkey Junction Area...This custom built home offers an open floor and loaded with upgrades. The Chef in you will appreciate the spacious...
The Alston offers 1734 sq. ft. and has a split bedroom floorplan with a huge 17'x19' living room, separate dining area and Spacious kitchen with large pantry, stainless s...
Excellent opportunity in the Willowick community! Located in one of Wimington's most sought after school districts, the Armstrong plan is open concept with 5 bedrooms and...
Awesome 4 bedroom/2.5 bath home called the Aisle! All bedrooms upstairs; downstairs find 9'ceilings with a spacious dining & living area finished with luxury vinyl plank...
The Hanover Cottage is a rear entry home with 4 bedrooms/ 3 bathrooms, open space living downstairs and an extra Gathering Room upstairs. Elegant White Ice Granite count...
Breathtaking Views of the Intracoastal Waterway and the Atlantic Ocean from this Custom Built Home by Tom Sayre Construction. This reverse floor plan features 4 bedrooms ...
$5000 BUYER BONUS - USE AS YOU CHOOSE. Live in the Beautifully Crafted homes by Award winning Home Builder SECOF Construction. The popular one-story Rachel floorplan feat...
Proposed Construction by BuilderPro in historic Seabreeze Sound. Enjoy the coastal breezes from your choice of many outdoor living areas at this Modern Coastal dream hom...
The Helmsley is a beautiful, quaint but spacious 3 bedroom/ 3 bathroom home with an upstairs Bonus Room and Flex Room, which can be used as an optional 4th/ guest bedroom...
Our Worthing C floor plan is a 2 story home featuring a double front porch, 5 bedrooms and three-and-one-half baths. This home also includes a formal living and dining ro...
The Ashton is a beautiful and spacious 3 bedroom/ 3.5 bathroom home with big open space living downstairs, and upstairs a bonus room and flex room/ optional 4th bedroom w...